Thursday, May 27, 2010

Words... or Words to Live By?

A few weeks ago, "The Unmaking of a Part-Time Christian" debuted as a facebook page. Now, pretty much every day, I'll post a random thought or a paragraph from the book.

I've received a lot of positive feedback from "visitors". But the most valuable part of the exercise has been the devotional experience I have via selecting the passage.

Today, for example, I read most of the "Subversive for Jesus" chapter before selecting the following vignette: "If there's one model both Rebekah and I have constantly fought to disprove, it's the idea that faith should in any way be formulaic, stereotypical, one-size-fits-all, or easy to define. God, it turns out, is much harder to pin down than that..." (p. 86

The effect is a kind of forced rethink. I mean, how can I post something that strongly worded without taking a look at how such a statement fits in my life? Is it all rhetoric... or do I actually live the words I write?

I believe it's an important question to ask when we're reading anything "inspirational" - and most especially the Bible. Words? Or Words to Live By?

Blessings on your journey - always - DEREK

No comments: